Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Microsoft will pay more if you quit and then rejoin

There are things that I don't have an explanation for. For example, campus hires for the test org join at level 59 now. I don't have a problem with what the entry levels are. This was a recent change and entry levels were lower earlier (It was 57 I think).

What I don't understand is why some of my colleagues with few years experience (with some holding master's degree) started at a lower level because of the then policy are treated unfairly and have a lower level (or the same level) and pay compared to the new hires? I am not talking about low or average performers in my team. I am talking about a few good people who are smart and hard workers who worked their ass off for the last couple of years and got 2 level raises only to be put on par with a new hire!!!

I came to know about this unfair practice when one of the tester who has been working for MS for the last couple of years whom I respect vetted her frustration about this. She even mentioned that she wasn't allowed to interview a campus new hire for test team since because she had a lower level than what new hires would get. One of the leads refused her the opportunity to do the interview on this basis!!!

If only the ratings & salary are public, I am sure Microsoft will be up for a lot of lawsuits for things like this.

No comments: