Thursday, December 01, 2005

3% is a lot. It means 1 in 33 units are defective

Microsoft claims that only 3% of the XBox 360 units sold have been faulty, which is below the industry average. (Through www.engadget.com)

Since when did 3% of defective units is acceptable. If percentage looks very small to anyone, it is 12,000 units given that 400,000 units have been sold so far. Personally, that is an aweful lot of defective units. Microsoft just can't and shouldn't extend its software standards to its hardware devices when it wants to take over the living room of every household. People expect a lot more stability and reliability from devices like these. I for one is so glad that Microsoft isn't getting into Cars (or any other appliances). 3% would be lot and I would stop driving the car when the day comes.

Many readers of the article commented along the lines of what I feel. Here are some (ofcourse I am biased here by posting only the ones that supports my view =:0)
Posted Dec 1, 2005, 4:51 PM ET by KB
I don't play video games by any means and could care less about the Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo fueds but since when did 3% of manufactured XBox's to be defective was a "good" percent? Thats actually AWFUL. Is this what U.S. quality control standards have come down to?


Posted Dec 1, 2005, 6:09 PM ET by wxrman
Aren't you glad Microsoft doesn't make heart pace makers!


Sarah/Haloman, I have taken my "product quality control" classes or whatever you want. I have interned at GE. Six sigma is 3.4 defective for every million, not 100.

Posted Dec 1, 2005, 6:13 PM ET by umrain
3% means 1 in every 33 units is bad. that sounds rather poor to me.

No comments: