Sunday, October 28, 2007

Book of the Month: Best kept secrets of Code reviews

Just finished reading Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review and I would recommend it to anyone involved with Software Development.

I have been a big advocate of peer code reviews as I have personally seen its benefits over the years in Software Developement. At Microsoft, peer code review is essential and integral requirement for code check-ins. Two key benefits I see are
  • Provides an opportunity to learn and share knowledge. I have learned so much from code reviews on how to write good code than any other book has taught me
  • A good review helps identify issues in code that otherwise would be detected much later in the process. As numerous studies have shown (pointed in the bug), it is of tremendous help if a team is concerned about code quality

No comments: