Sunday, December 28, 2008

Is there any hope for peace?

Destruction continues in Gaza

Is there any hope for peace? I sure think not since the Israel/palentine conflict has evolved beyond the fight for the land. Many in the world would want the status quo for their benefit. This includes US, Arab nations and european nations as well.

As for the events that are un-folding, it seems that Israel's response seems appropriate given the barrage of rockets fired into Israel though there were no human casualities.
UPDATE: It looks like the jury is out there on who broke the ceasefire. I cannot believe so many failed to mention this.


But viewing the recent escalation with a narrow time scale actually makes palentinians look bad which I refuse to do. I still strongly believe that the conflict can be resolved by Israel any time by dismantling the Israeli settlements in the occupied territory and moving back to 1967 borders as UN mandated (and Israel has chosen to ignore UN resolutions against it till to date). I strongly believe that palentinians have the right to fight for their land which is theirs just as Israel is defending its territory.

Can President elect Obama make peace in middle east? I really doubt it. All he can do or would do is to try and dis-entangle US from the complicated conflict and restore faith as an honest broker. Then it would be up to Israel to negotiate its terms. I pray for that day and would do anything in my capacity to contribute to that in a right full way.

No comments: