Sunday, October 24, 2004

Ashcroft working for Microsoft?

Recently I started noticing a trend towards eliminating some common phrases that has been in use for years at MS. My manager asked our team to start using the new phrases instead as they are less offending (to who?). Some of the phrases that were replaced are:

Bug Hell to Bug Jail- This is a term we used to refer to when a person has product bugs assigned to him that is beyond the bar agreed upon. We normally drop everything else we are doing and work towards getting below the bar. I guess the word "Hell" has some religious context to it and they are trying to avoid it.
Post mortem to Postpartum - We use this term to refer to process used by Product teams which do a post analysis of how well it did in the last milestone or release to look for process/product improvements and lessons to be learned. The reason for the change is that someone higher up thought that the term is inappropriate as post mortem is done after death.

When I first heard about these changes, it totallly pissed me off. Don't we have better things to do? These are words that are used in daily life and don't mean a damn to me. I clearly understand the context and the meaning when it is used. For someone to think of it like this reminded me of John Ashcroft's first acts as Attorney General. If you don't know what I am talking about, here is what he did (from http://prattle.antipope.org/archives/001192.html):
...Within weeks of Ashcroft's arrival, the revolution began, although initially only his subordinates realized it, as it came in the form of a scolding memo. According to a former Justice Department lawyer, the phrases We are proud of the Justice Department and There is no higher calling than public service, both of which had been pro forma in certain letters sent out to citizens and congressmen above the attorney general's signature, were to be excised. A call to Ashcroft's office provided an explanation of sorts: Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; therefore we could not have a letter going out that would have the word 'pride' or 'proud'. Moreover, there is a higher calling than public service, which is service to God.

For god's sake (Here is one that could be banned as well) I don't work in a religious establishment. I work for a technology company and censoring (yes, it is a form of censoring to me) in the internal communication means some religious psycho is enforcing his own views on everyone. I could think of a lot of words that we use in our daily lives and at work that could be replaced as well. Here are some:
"Triage" is one word which is used a lot in MS and should be eliminated since it refers to sorting and allocation of treatment to battle and disaster victims.
"Fucked up" is another word I hear a lot from people, in e-mail and even in source code comments. I know it is just a phrase. It does not mean the act of "F******".

Lets find something better to do next time. No thanks on your new alternatives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, didn't like the way some things were being run by people, so I quit. You have to know which problems are worth quitting for.