Friday, November 12, 2004

Is this the America I know? Why are people so stupid?

I have been running into a lot of articles and news bits lately about how rural America is going back to the dark ages. Here is one article I ran across today School board OKs challenges to evolution . I sometimes wonder how America is different compared to the so called radical muslim societies where religion overrides common sense. So many people are so stupid here I even wonder how this country got to where it is now!

I read the book "Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America's Continuing Debate over Science and Religion" by Edward J. Larson long time ago which is an excellent read on this issue.

I don't mind people believe in creationism but teaching the kids that evolution is just a theory just simply is stupid and totally unacceptable to me. Grow up guys! No wonder Bush played the evangelical card and won the election and he continues to keep the status quo for his own benifits.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evolution is a theory, right?

Who really knows for sure how we got here.

I am one of the last persons to support creationism, but this issues illustrates a certain logic.

That logic is that we should always question what we believe, in the absence of absolute truth.

Perhaps by reminding the younger generations that no one knows for certain how we got here, we will continue to inspire progress towards absolute truth.

lushootseed said...

I couldn't agree more with your comment
"Perhaps by reminding the younger generations that no one knows for certain how we got here, we will continue to inspire progress towards absolute truth."

My only problem is that "Evolution" is a scientific theory which people are free to critisize and improve upon where as "Creationism" is not even a theory and is hardly up for the critisism. Would the same school board would teach the "Islamic" or "Hinduism"'s version of creationism? The chances are very remote. In my opinion, the decision was made with religious bias and lack of world knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Well, the way I see it, evolution and creationism are both theories.

It's just that evolution is a better theory, if you have faith in science.

What if the methods and principles that science is based on are faulty? It's really not unlike creationism in a way. That entire belief system is based on artifacts that can't be proven.

The reason I don't have a problem with this trend, and I should note that I don't have kids, is due to another trend. I've read that science is being less popular as a choice for advanced education, so that means something is happening in our society. If people are moving away from science, then who can force them back to it?

I believe that the renewed focus on creationism is actually going to renew an interest in science in advanced education.

Creationism is fine for the individual, but society as a whole depends on science.