Wednesday, November 24, 2004

GM Crops should be banned

I recently watched Dr. Vandana Shiva's speech in UCTV about "Genetically engineered crops" and I should say I am impressed by her speech and as concerned as she is. Since then I have been googling and learning about GM foods. I am very gravely concerned to read about how lax the approval process for GM foods are by FDA. Here is a quote from the article http://www.rense.com/general59/cchm.htm
....One thing that surprised us is that U.S. regulators rely almost exclusively on information provided by the biotech crop developer, and those data are not published in journals or subjected to peer review,” said co-author Schubert.

Added Freese: "In one case, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ignored a published study by an Food and Drug Administration (FDA) scientist suggesting that GM corn could cause food allergies, and instead asked Monsanto and Syngenta to essentially re-do FDA's analysis."


I have been coming across many such articles these days and nothing I learn from them is telling me that we really need genetically modified foods due to the lack of long term study on the effect on Humans and our eco system.

Agreed, pesticides use is bad as well but trading one evil for the other is unacceptable and unwise.

I shared my findings with my wife and we decided never to even buy any GM foods. At least one less consumer.

No comments: