Saturday, December 04, 2004

Why pay someone for what is yours?

For a long time, I wondered why I should pay the credit bureaus to view my own financial history a.k.a Credit report and the FICO scores.

The credit bureaus invest their resources in collecting data about everyone they can and sell it to businesses under the federal guidelines. That is perfectly O.K and I have no problem with that. What doesn't make sense to me is why I should pay to access information about me? It costs close to $40 to get the "All 3 credit agencies" report.
Is it the cost that prevents them from doing it? I don't think so. In this 21st century, the cost of delivering information is dirt cheap (I am talking about electronic delivery) and it is not an excuse to not let us see our information. For example, Google is offering 1GB mailbox and it costs nothing. How do they do it? Well, others just don't get it. Is this a conspiracy by the big 3 credit reporting agencies to rip the consumer? You bet!

I was a bit glad when the govenrment required the credit reporting agencies to offer one free credit report a year. Now, I could go to http://www.AnnualCreditReport.com/ to see my report. But MSNBC reported that many users coudn't use it because of all sorts of problems. The cause of the problem was reported to be overwhelming traffic!! What the hell is wrong with them? Did they expect no one to want to see their information? The big 3s would rather spend their resources where they could make more money. This is what I could get it from their execution.

This is great and we are making progress. But why can't I see this information when ever I want to? What I would like to to be able to check mine once a month and would live with 12 reports per year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

credit history repair Stop the collection calls credit history repair