Thursday, February 10, 2005

Representing Microsoft

I was filling out my mid-year review this week and wanted to fill in the Strengths & Weaknesses section as required. So I went to the Microsoft "Competencies" & "Values" intranet site and to my surprise I found the following under "Representing Microsoft" value:

Projects a positive and professional image of Microsoft in all contacts. What Does It Mean?

  • Is loyal and committed to Microsoft.
  • Speaks well of Microsoft, even when not in agreement with all company policies and decisions.
  • Promotes a positive, realistic image of Microsoft to the public.
  • Persuasively advocates Microsoft’s interests.

I stopped filling out my review and pondered over this for a very long time (I was even tempted to put "Representing Microsoft" as one of the things to improve upon in my review!) trying to put this in the context of this blog. I am to some extent critical of Microsoft and speak my mind relating to events. But that wouldn't stop me from "Representing Microsoft" as an employee because that would mean back-stabbing which I would never ever do. But what I was trying to understand was that if this applies to what I do as a person. I wouldn't think so.

To my comfort, I also found the "Integrity & Honesty" value. If "Values" apply to both as an individual & employee, then it should apply to all values isn't it? If that is true, I can take comfort that I am being honest in speaking my mind. After all this is my diary and the sole purpose of this blog is to write about what catches my attention and to dump my thoughts at that moment.

No comments: