Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Art of Intrusion

Just finished reading the book written by the well known and respected hacker Kevin D. Mitnick.

The Art of Intrusion : The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders & Deceivers

The book was
  • fun reading since it was a collection of stories about intrusions some of which went on like hollywood action movie. But at times, I felt that there was some repetition in the themes.
  • I picked up some cool hacker lingo and some new insights into the possible attack vectors.
  • Most of the attacks that Kevin describes was made possible by either default/bad passwords or misconfigured systems. It felt like hacking most of the times does not seem to be difficult thing at all.

Overall, it is a very good weekend read for anyone interested in security. I have not read his other book "The Art of Deception" and I don't plan to as my book pipeline is booked at least for a year.

My next read is going to be "Sources of power" by Gary Klein and I am already looking forward to it.

No comments: