Saturday, January 08, 2005

It is not just Windows!

If the Operating system becomes unresponsive or acting weird and you are using operating system from Microsoft, the first thing one does is CRTL+ALT+DEL and reboot the system. It is not just this case, a lot of windows updates, Application/driver installation/Settings change requires reboot of the OS. I have so far assumed that this is only a Windows phenomina. Well, I am wrong.

Last week, my DiskNetwork receiver started acting up (and it still does) couple of times a day and would not allow me to watch some pay channels I have subcribed to saying there is some problem with the smart card and I do not have authorization to view the channel. Called customer service and I was suggested to reboot the system (by holding the power button for 7 seconds at least) whenever this happens!! The service rep told me pretty much that I would have to go through this exercise with no remedy. It took me couple of more calls before it got to a more senior guy who switched me to a different transponder & satellite. The problem seemed to have gone but it came back again today.

Also, my telephone adapter(TA. Yes, I have VoIP from AT&T) was not recognizing my phone and the rep told me to do warm reset/cold reset and nothing worked. Same story with my DSL router.

The more sophisticated and smarter the devices get, the more unreliable they become. These days, shipping a product sooner is more important than a reliable or stable product. Same goes with Software. A product just needs to be good enough to ship. All bug fixes and updates come later in the form of updates/patches.

What is next?
  • Reboot the microware because it burned your food because of heap corruption!
  • Your refrigirator does not open as the software or OS hangs or crashed?
  • Your car is in an accident because the onboard computer crashed because of a software bug which thought you pressed the gas when infact you slammed the breaks?

Possibilites are endless. With these modern day devices so unreliable, I wouldn't trust my life on a digital device again. The reliablity needs to get better and not worse as we move to a digital lifestyle/decade.


No comments: