Sunday, January 23, 2005

Puzzle that I came across this week

I love good puzzles and I plan to blog them so that I don't lose them when I need it. Here is one from the book I am reading(The Tipping Point, by Malcom Gladwell):

Suppose I give you four cards labeled with the letters A and D and the numerals 3 and 6. The rule of the game is that a card with a vowel on it always has an even number on the other side. Which of the cards would you have to turn over to prove this rule to be true?

Here is a variation of the same puzzle:
Suppose four people are drinking in a bar. One is drinking Coke. One is sixteen. One is drinking beer and one is twenty-five. Which of those people’s ID’s do we have to check to make sure the 21 legal age law is being observed?

Most (normal) people (inlcuding me) will get the answer wrong. But the second one is easier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is A the answer for the first one?
I think we need to check the guy drinking beer for the second one.

Anonymous said...

Hey... Interesting post on voip router. By the way... Just found this resource where you can post your own articles on voip router - if you have something you want to share with the world. Besides, at the same time you'll get a link back to your own site on anything concerning voip router - or whatever else you'd like... why don't you check it out for yourself now...