Saturday, May 07, 2005

I love Steve Ballmer

It has been an awesome week at Microsoft for me. There were a lot of discussion around the company (through letters to editor of Micronews, In Gleam DL, executive communication etc) about the HL1515 and diversity and discrimination. One thing that came out of it was that I am proud (and surprised to some extent) of the position that company took in the end which is to support legislation similar to HL1515 if it comes up again in washington state.

One perception that changed in the last couple of weeks was that SteveB is my hero. I always considered him in the past as some one with excellent marketing skills and someone who is funny and vocal on stage (i.e. speeches). I really never took notice of him nor was he in my thoughts or felt sorry for him on something. Now that I have seen his human face, courage to take a stance on social issue like this and his commitment to diversity, I think now of how hard it would have been for him the last couple of weeks and how much soul searching he would have done and what would I have done if I was in his position. He would be in my prayers if I did one.

Clarification: When I said earlier that companies should not take a stance on social issues. I meant that they shouldn't on issues like Gay Rights in general. But it should when it comes to discrimination at work including discrimination based on sexual orientation. Also, I meant that companies shouldn't actively engage politically on bills like HL1515 but instead provide letter of support when asked by legislative branch. There is a difference if you can see it. Bottomline, don't spend shareholder money by politically engaging on social issues but when it comes to workplace issues like this, just let them know where you stand.

No comments: