Sunday, November 27, 2005

Sure XBox 360 was a success. But...

Sure it is a great machine and is going to change the gaming experience for the better. Not doubt about that.

But, I for one is very dissatisfied with the execution. Microsoft set a launch date in May 2005 and had plenty of time in its hands to make enough available for the launch date. I saw the demand for at least 10million units in North America on Nov 22nd,2005 and saw so little available. I for one did a bit of waiting in the night and the morning after and saw how disappointed so many people where. I think Microsoft missed the opportunity to cash in on the excitement and sell more units on that day. I call this the carpet-bombing strategy. Hollywood knows this strategy better than anyone else. Any new movie like "LOTR" for example runs in as many theaters as possible on any given cineplex so that people come see it on the excitement built so far.

With Sony's PS3 available mid 2006, I am sure many who considered Xbox 360 will wait rather than buy it. I called Dell the other day and they said any orders might take February/March of 2006 to deliver. If that is going to take that long, a few more months wouldn't hurt waiting to see what Sony has to offer for its PS3.

No comments: